Garlic and Rosemary Oven Roasted Chicken
No matter what time of year it is, one thing I love to make is a roasted bird! Sure, we are used to them over Thanksgiving, but I love to go after those small chickens over the course of the year as well!
This past weekend, I made this delicious chicken that I just had to share with you guys! And the best part is, it was VERY simple with very few ingredients! And the best part is, it can be put into your oven on a timer and forgotten about!
A couple things to remember when completing this recipe.
1) Once you rinse off your chicken, you need to make sure that you pay your chicken with a paper towel until completely dry. Things will not spread very easily.
2) Do not forego the lemon. The acidity in the lemon helps break down the fibers in the chicken which will help make it super moist! Additionally, the citrus balances out the flavor of the spices that are being used.
4) Truss the legs! Make sure you tie them together so that the chicken is all closed up. This allow the heat to fully circulate the chicken.
5) Let that chicken rest! Once the chicken is completely cooked, take it out of the oven and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- 1 5-6 pound chicken, at room temperature giblets and neck removed
- 1 onion, eighth
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half plus 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lemons, cut in half
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs plus 1 sprig minced or 3 tablespoons of crusted rosemary.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Preheat oven to 273 degrees.
- Rinse and dry your whole chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix butter, rosemary, lemon zest, garlic and pepper together.
- Carefully spread the butter all over the chicken.
- Cut up onion and stuff inside the chicken
- Squeeze lemon juice all over chicken and and place skins inside.
- Truss the chickens legs closed and drizzle wine around the chicken.
- Bake for 4 hours or until the internal temperature is at least 165 degrees.
- If you want it to be less browned, place the chicken inside a turkey baking bag. Remove chicken from the bag half way through.