Toasted Coconut and Toffee Cookies
It’s no surprise that when a cookie gets brought into our home, they don’t last very long. So when I have new favorites that get gobbled up even faster, it has to be a must-share! I first had a version of these from Hy-Vee (our local grocery store), and well as you can guess I didn’t care for it much. So what did I do? Make it of course!
[the_ad id=”1063″]This is now a favorite cookie of ours in the house and they get eat soooo quickly. For some reason, this cookie makes me wish for colder weather and want a nice cup of coffee or tea to go with it – I like to think of them as “Adult Cookies.”
Couple things to point out before you start making these:
- Toast your coconut! You can buy shredded coconut at your local grocery store. You will want the flakes that are unsweetened. Just put your oven on 350 degrees and place your coconut flakes on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes, tossing and rotating coconut 3-4 times. I don’t get it too brown, just the edges.
- Toffee! You can buy your toffee, but I prefer to make mine! Trust me, its easy and has three ingredients! I’ll put the recipe below, just be sure you break it up to tiny bite-sized pieces, about the size of a chocolate chip. And don’t worry, they will soften up in the oven.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Begin to melt your butter in a sauce pan on med-high heat until almost full melted.
- Add in sugar and stir with a whisk. Add in salt.
- Continuously stir until it begins to thicken and your mixture is a DARK amber color. Should get pretty hot, and even start to smolder a little bit.
- Pour on to pan and place in refrigerator until fully cold. Break apart and enjoy!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, packed LIGHTLY
- 1 cup Land O Lakes® Butter, softened
- 3 large Land O Lakes® Eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups coconut, toasted
- 1 1/2 cups of toffee piences
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine sugar, brown sugar, and butter in bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until VERY VERY creamy. Add eggs, almond extract, and vanilla. Continue beating until well mixed. Add flour and baking soda; beat at low speed until well mixed.
- Fold in coconut and toffee bits.
- Scoop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8-11 minutes or until edges are golden brown but the center should be a light color. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to cooling rack.
- You are going to want to let these cool completely, before eating. The toffee will get very hot and sticky and you don't want to hurt your little ones mouth!