Frosted Lemonade Cookies
One of my favorite things about summer is the flavors! They are always so bright and make me want to be outside. This week, I focused my love for lemon – and made these amazing cookies! I mean lets be real – who doesnt love a great glass of lemonade on a hot day.
But why not try and put that into a cookie?! Well, I did!
The light lemon flavor that lives in the cookie and the bite of the sweet frosting may be a favorite combination for me.
Ready to try them? Lets get cooking!
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon zest (from about 5 large lemons)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened but slightly firm
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Lemon Frosting
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups (360g) powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsps heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt, set aside.
- In an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment blend sugar and lemon zest for 30 seconds until sugar appears slightly yellow and is fragrant. Add butter and mix until combined. Mix in egg, then mix in egg yolk and vanilla extract. With mixer set on low speed slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Scoop dough out 1 1/2 Tbsp at a time and shape into balls (note that if dough is too sticky for you to work with you can chill for about 30 minutes if needed). Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner, spacing cookies 2-inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time in preheated oven 10 - 12 minutes (cookies should appear slightly under-baked). Remove from oven and allow to rest several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all of the dough has been used up. Once cookies are cool frost cookies with lemon frosting.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer blend butter until smooth. Add in powdered sugar and lemon juice. Mix until slightly fluffy, while adding in cream to thin as needed.